Sunday, September 12, 2010

Holiday

Hey! So here i'll try to explain where I went over my holiday.

First, I went to Cairns. The first day we did a tour of the rainforest. It's called the Daintree. It was a very fun tour! It was so green and later it rained...in the rainforest! :)
The second day we went to the Great Barrier Reef. It was so great! We couldn't go SCUBA diving because we had a flight the next day and there would be problems with the difference in atmospheric pressure for our bodies. So we just went snorkeling! It was very fun. We did two tours and had a lunch break inbetween. I got so close to the reef! I actually got so close that I clipped my flipper on the top of it. Our guides were really fun and talked to us a lot. Our favorite was a very experienced diver named Tazzy! He explained how all of the gear worked and how we were supposed to breathe correctly and all that.
The weather was really nice and warm. I would have liked to stay longer. We stayed at a party hostel! I got unlimited internet and a T-shirt for paying $10. The party group went bar hopping and got crazy. I just got free internet and a t-shirt that I want everyone (and I mean everyone) to sign!

The second trip we went to Melbourne. After a crazy couple of fun days in Cairns we just wanted to relax. No set plans. After we slept in and got our bearings, Tricia and I decided to go on a self-guided graffiti tour and around the marketplace. After that we toured the city at night and experienced the night life. It was very European and there were a lot of cafes. Fun times.
The next day we went to the beach and it was really nice. We laid down on a grassy hill and just watched the sun go down. We got some cheap food and got a few souveniers. We ate lunch at this neat Mexican place called Taco Bill's and after enjoying a fun conversation with out waitress she came out with sombrero hats for us! We wore them around the city. We also had a small bottle of bubbles so people probably thought we were weird. But we brought some smiles out of people!

The third and last stop was Hobart, Tasmania. It is a very overlooked state across the Tasman Sea. Once again we were exhausted and decided to sleep in. At this point I had spent all of my money and had to borrow some from Tricia...I apologize!! After we got all rested up we decided to go to the Cadbury Chocolate Factory. Bianca and Jen decided to go in the morning so we thought we'd go as well. It was late in the day, however, and we didn't get there in time. We actually missed our bus stop and then took a nice tour of the upper suberbs of Hobart in the hills. That was enough of an adventure. Anyway, we prepared our next and last day of Hobart and our holiday all together.
We started off by going to the Bonorong wildlife reserve park. It was a lot of fun! They have all sorts of animals like in a zoo but they have park rangers looking after them and giving guided tours around the park. Lots of them have been rescued and can no longer return to the wild. Some have been rescued from their mothers who were killed somehow and they are nurturing them back to health and then plan to send them out into the wild again. The animals we saw were: kangaroos, wallabies, different types of tropical birds, Tasmanian devils, a peacock, wombats, and geese.
Then we decided to go to Mt. Nelson and eat our pack lunches. Tricia felt like getting out of the wind so she stayed in the lookout point while I walked for a bit through the woods. We returned to the hostel to watch a movie: the Lion King. It was a classic for sure, but not a lot of the other guests liked it. Australia isn't Africa, but it definitely wasn't Kansas! Plus I haven't seen it in a long time so it was good to watch it again.

That was my week! The day after we got back to Sydney we headed out for the OUTBACK!! That will be my next blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment